A 130-Year-Old School and Its Traditions
The mentality of the economic life and education policy of the Age of Dualism established the secondary vocational school specialized in trade in 1884. The founders’ aim was to provide high-quality education for the children of the citizens living in Buda.
“The purpose of the secondary vocational school is to provide essential general education for young students who are going to choose a trading career, and to offer them the necessary skills required in their future job.”
(The Royal Directorate-General for Secondary Vocational Schools, 1884)
Besides the trade, the school also gave the opportunity to the students to pass their final exam, which was not general practice during this era, but it ensured the move into the middle-class. The always developing selection of vocational training offered by the institution during its 130 year long history followed the all-time expectations of the economy in a flexible way.
The teaching staff have always played an important role in preserving the school traditions. The history of the school, the worship of the eponym and the cult of the founders all stand in the limelight of heritage preservation. Newer and newer generations have been able to get acquainted with the noblest educational and pedagogical endeavours in the past years at the celebrations held every school year. The community events such as Hunfalvy Day, freshers’ camp, graduation ball, farewell ceremony, Christmas and the national holidays give opportunity to the new generations to regard the school traditions as their own.
The school traditions are constantly present in objects and symbols. The building itself make you feel the coexistence of past and present with its ship-like position, with the symbolism of the ornaments and with its closed world turning its back to the noisy city.